Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Half a century...

Am I where I thought I'd be at 25?  Probably not, but I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

A lot can happen in a day, week, month and year.  But in 25 - that's a lot of memories, experiences, heart aches and laughs.  I like to think I've learned a few things along the way, and that I still have lots left to learn, and a lot of years left to learn it.  Today, I'll share some of my most valuable lessons learned:

1. The best things in life are worth waiting for.  Regardless of how you feel in the moment, once you get what it is you've been waiting for, you'll find that the timing was perfect and because of all you've endured, you appreciate it that much more.

2. You will lose people you love.  It might be a boyfriend, a parent, a friend, etc., but you will lose people.  You'll lose people to death, to change and to life.  You have to hold tight to the memories you have with those people, remember the good times and move on.

3. Don't buy shoes that don't fit.  You'll regret it after the first time you wear them outside of the store.  Your feet will hate you.  You will hate you.

4. Kiss your children every single day.  Even when you're mad.  They need to know they're loved and you need to know you've showed them that.  Even when your little boy is almost six - still kiss him.  Even if he wipes it off.

5. Value the friendships in your life - they are invaluable.  Friends are the people who are there for you when your whole world is falling apart.  They are the people who know just what to say when there is nothing to say.  And when you find your best friend - marry him.  Even if he leaves his shoes in the doorway.

6. Don't get so drunk you're ashamed to look at the pictures.  Just trust me on this one.

7. Your checking account doesn't like Starbucks nearly as much as you do.  Again, just trust me on this one.

8. Buy expensive purses.  If they make you happy, buy them.  Your children will understand that in your will, you may have no money to leave to them, but they'd much rather have a fabulous Coach handbag.  Unless you have two boys - then just hope their wives like handbags...

9. Say you're sorry.  There's nothing worth staying mad over.  Swallow your pride and say it.

10. Tell your mother every single day how much you love her (and your daddy, too).  Tomorrow isn't promised and even if she's perpetually late, completely disorganized and couldn't be more different than you if she tried, make sure she knows every day how much you love her.  It's not easy being a parent, we say things we don't mean, we make mistakes, we need second chances and sometimes we think we've ruined your entire life because we forgot to feed you breakfast.  But, we love you and we need to know that, despite the fact that you have to wait until lunch to have your first meal of the day and that we try to send you back to school a day early, you love us, too.

Those are some of the things I've learned.  Today, as I turn 25, I have a little boy at kindergarten and a 15 week old napping in my bed.  My husband is working hard to provide our family with everything we need and want.  My dad's watching me from Heaven and my mom's just down the road.  I have a college degree, I have the best friends and family on the face of the earth and I'd say it's a good day.  I'd say I have a pretty great life.  And I'd say that very little of it has to do with me, and more of it has to do with the people who love me and with what the good Lord has blessed me with.  So, happy birthday to me!!

1 comment:

  1. You are wise beyond your years, sweetie - thanks for this! And enjoy your 25th birthday!! Hugs--Angi

    ReplyDelete