Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mount O-Laundrous

I think, in the back corners of the deepest, darkest closet of my home, there is a family of elves.  This family stirs at night, running rampant through our house, dirtying laundry and throwing it in a pile.  There is no way a family of four can accumulate the amount of laundry that we do.  And just when I think I might be making a small amount of head way, an almost-six-year-old (that shall remain nameless to protect the guilty) comes trudging down the stairs with another heaping basket and says, "I don't have any uniform pants clean."  How is that even possible?!?!  I dig through the dryer and find a solemn pair of navy blue pants.  SCORE!

Right now, I will admit, with my head hung in shame, that we have two baskets in front of the washer and four more baskets in our bedroom full of dirty clothes.  Somehow, we still manage to have closets full of clean clothes, which leads me to my favorite excuse, "If all these clothes were clean, I would have nowhere to put them."  I've always admired, and wanted to be, one of those moms that can keep up with laundry by doing a daily load of the clothing her family wore yesterday.  A friend of mine has a husband who does his own laundry, and I am seething with envy of her.  I have hired my mom to do my laundry in the past, which has been projected as a one day project and ended up spanning a week (or more).  My mother-in-law does a load every time she comes over and still, we cannot ever manage to keep up.  I have every intention, every day, of dedicating it fully to laundry.  Today, my DVR is full and I'm thinking, "This is the day, I can fold and watch TV, then move to the next load."  But, alas, I am now drying the same load that I've dried three times before.  There is basket of now wrinkled clean clothes sitting in the dining area and here I am, writing about what I should be doing.

So, assure me, friends and readers, that I am not the only one who will one day come up missing, only to be found amidst piles of once worn clothing.  Assure me that one day, I will conquer this battle and be victorious once and for all.  Tell me that snuggling my baby is far more important than laundering and folding denim and cotton articles.  But most importantly, tell me there is nothing you'd rather do than to come over for coffee and to clean my laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment