Wednesday, March 9, 2011

@)(*$)&@#$*))&

So, when contemplating what to give up for Lent, several ideas came to mind: laundry, dishes and housework, amongst others.  But, when I seriously sat down and considered it, I wanted to do something that would make me a better Christian, a better mom and a better person.  Was I a better Christian because I gave up drinking everything but water?  No.  Was I a better Christian because I quit eating fried food?  No.  Now, I don't judge people who give up these things, because it might take some people a lot of prayer and soul searching to abstain from such pleasures for 40 days.  But, for me, it just wasn't something I felt really brought me to the heart of Lent and what sacrifice in the name of the Lord meant.  However, in recent weeks, I've really reevaluated a lot of the language I used on a day to day basis.  Hunter will soon be at an age where he repeats everything we say.  Cole is at an age where he is learning appropriateness.  How can I expect my children to know that there are certain places you can say naughty words and not be in violation of social norms, but there are other places where it's unacceptable?  How ignorant am I to expect my children to understand and believe that "adults can say naughty words, but you can't"?

That being said, I've placed it on my heart to quit cussing.  It's taking a conscious effort to quit.  It's something that I need to pray about.  It's something that will make me and my family better.  Heck, just this morning I caught myself saying, "Hunter has a stinky @$$."  Not okay.  I quickly caught myself, and prayed for the ability to think before I say something.  But, believe you me - Fat Tuesday gave me LOTS of reasons to cuss.  I was so mad at a situation regarding our house in Florida that I said some unlady like things yesterday.  But, now I'm going to be challenged to move forward without continuing with those words.  In an effort to better serve the Lord, when I slip up, I will add $1 for every cuss word I say to my weekly tithe.  Congrats, Immanuel Lutheran - so far you've earned a dollar!

I'm going to challenge my whole family to this task - including Cole.  While his naughty words are more like "stupid" and "dumb", they're still words that shouldn't be in his vocabulary, so for every word he says, he'll be adding a quarter to his chapel offering.  I'm hoping Doug gets on board with this, too.  And, if you catch me cussing, call me out!  Hopefully I can hang up my sailor hat by the time this is over with.  ;-)

(And kudos if you got that final witty comment! LOL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment